Follow Your Nose
Good news for superhero lovers. The Avengers: Written and directed by Joss Whedon starring Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk , Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow , Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye , Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. The movie has only gotten good reviews and I’m very excited to see it myself. The directing is superb, obviously. Joss Whedon has had experience making epic movies before. Some of my favorites include Serenity and Alien Resurrection. With The Avengers i’m mainly looking forward to watching some of my favorite actors run around in those crazy superhero costumes! The transformation is astonishing and I think it’s worth taking a look at:
This to that and still attractive as ever! Scarlett Johansson is really all the eye candy any movie needs. Attractive girls are always a plus. And look how low she’s getting! That’s athleticism for you. I’m exhausted just by looking at her. It’s fantastic!
Next is Mark Ruffalo. His transformation, in all honesty, is probably the most impressive. I am not at all a fan of the Hulk movies, but i’m very excited about the Hulk in The Avengers. Standing about 9ft tall, the Hulk will no doubt be a powerful ally to the “Avengers”.
Chris Hemsworth goes through a pretty drastic transformation as well. Thor is the son of Odin and God of Thunder. It seems to me that Thor in a league of his own, but I guess we’ll just have to see. I would definitely want to be on this guys’ team, that’s all i’m saying.
Jeremy Renner has been one of my favorite actors since the movie S.W.A.T. came out. His performance in the newest Mission Impossible was outstanding. A very versatile actor that has a lot of potential and i think will do good in this role.
Chris Evans as Captain America, but with more attitude. In The Avengers, Captain America is trying to come to terms with the modern world. If you remember in his last film, Chris Evans wakes up in a totally different time period than when he goes unconscious. It will be interesting to see how adapts to his surroundings during the movie. It can’t be all that bad having superhuman strength and all, can it? Captain America will undoubtedly be an asset to the “Avengers” and their team of misfits.
Tony Stark (AKA Robert Downey Jr.) is another fan favorite. Good looks, style, money and kick ass super hero armor he designed himself, what more could you want? In Iron Man, which was an original story, Tony was on his and out to prove himself. Iron Man 2 was all about him making space for others and dealing with legacy issues… In The Avengers, he’s throwing it down with the others. The Avengers is looking to be another action packed thrill ride with even more to offer than any of the prequels.
Last, but most certainly not least: Nick Fury. Played by Samuel L. Jackson, Nick Fury actually made appearances in both Iron Man movies, Thor and Captain America. Personally, I am a fan of sequels. Not all sequels live up to the original, but I believe this movie has the potential to be even better.
Nick Fury acts as former head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and as an intermediary between the U.S. government and the various superheroes. He is tasked with assembling the “Avengers” and making sure this movie has a Hollywood ending.
All things considered, The Avengers is a must see. I’ll see you there.
April 20th may just seem like any other day, but for some reason the number 420 is associated with pot smokers everywhere. My question is simple. Why is this so? As the stoner holiday approaches more and more pot smokers will use the term “420” and it’s unfair to be left out of an inside joke that so many people are in on. Many smokers are aware of the number, but have no idea where it came from. My mission was to uncover the real truth behind the number.
It seems the original meaning of the term “420” is still a matter of some debate. The only thing that the stoner community can agree upon is that 420 has evolved to represent a time of day (4:20am & 4:20pm) that is meant for smoking. The time being either right before breakfast in the morning or right after work or school is over for the day in the early afternoon.
Myths and legends are apparently rampant in the stoner community. Some of these myths include the idea that 420 represents the number of active chemicals in marijuana. This is untrue. There are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana depending on which part of the plant is used. Although there are all these chemicals, the main active chemical that is very well known in the stoner community is THC. THC is what causes the euphoria that is experienced after smoke is inhaled.It is also argued that April 20th is Hitler’s birthday and ipso facto all pot smokers are Nazi’s. This is just flat out not true. Yes it is a coincidence that it is Hitler’s birthday, but 420 started out as a time, not a date. His birthday had nothing to do with it.
According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smokers who called themselves the Waldos. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. While our teens feel that they know something we don’t, you can let them in on the fact that it was your generation that came up with the numbers.
The meaning of 420 was originally intended to represent the time of day when the Waldos would meet to smoke marijuana and socialize. This explanation for the origin of 420 has become widely accepted by the stoner community. However its true meaning is somewhat dubious to the stoner’s of today because 420 no longer means strictly the time of day to smoke. No, it is used broadly to talk about marijuana use and has become a globally used symbol of pot culture. The date 4/20 has become the stoner day of unity. 420 has become a way of identifying ones relationship with a: plant, ideology and community unto itself and the fact that this simple number can unify people in such ways is just marvelous.A quote from one of the Waldos in the High Times article states, “We did discover we could talk about getting high in front of our parents without them knowing by using the phrase 420.” Fortunately, your teenagers will not have that same option as their parents too grew up in a drug culture and should pretty much know better.
Hands down, one of my favorite websites of all time: StumbleUpon. Every college student should know about this site by now. It allows you the rare opportunity to be lazy and discover new and the very exciting things the internet has to offer.
The way it works is simple. StumbleUpon is a discovery engine, which is another form of a web search engine. This means that it finds and recommends web content to its users. Some features include allowing users to discover and rate Web pages, photos, and videos that are personalized to their tastes and interests using social networking principles.
When you decide to check it out, create your own account. Don’t worry it’s free! Add some of your interests and you’re ready to start stumbling! Also add your friends to see what they’re liking. Add me as well, maybe we have some common interests. My username is thenderson713.
Have fun stumbling.
1. What is the Greek name of the local chapter?
- Xi Omicron
2. In what region does the local chapter belong?
- South central
3. What are the chapters in the region?
- Alpha Pi Chapter- Southern Methodist University- Dallas
- Chi Omega Chapter- University of North Texas- Denton
- Epsilon Eta Chapter- Baylor University- Waco
- Eta Theta Chapter- Texas Tech University- Lubbock
- Iota Chapter- University of Texas- Austin
- Iota Sigma Chapter- Sam Houston State University- Huntsville
- Kappa Tau Chapter- Lamar University- Beaumont
- Lambda Mu Chapter- Texas Lutheran University- Seguin
- Mu Rho Chapter- University of Texas at Dallas- Dallas
- Nu Pi Chapter- Trinity University- San Antonio
- Tau Psi Chapter- University of Houston- Houston
- Theta Sigma Chapter- Texas State University, San Marcos- San Marcos
- Xi Omicron Chapter- University of Texas, San Antonio- San Antonio
4. What is the regional director’s name?
- Courtney C. Harrison
5. Who are the two other members of the Regional Management Team?
- Eastern- Thomas Tran
- Midwest- Bijoy P. Shah
6. What is the chapter adviser’s name?
- Joseph Bahranipoor
7. What is the function of the chapter’s Executive Committee?
- To conduct chapter planning on behalf of the entire membership, manage administrative details and develop efficiency in chapter operations.
8. What are the other leadership positions in the chapter?
- Chapter Historian
9. What does ACR stand for?
- Annual Chapter Report
10. What is the purpose of the ACR?
- Meant to help plan goals and objectives for the chapter (planning tool, performance measurement tool and recognition program).
11. What are Principled Business Leadership Institutes?
- Weekend conferences focused on building individual professional skills.
12. When are PBLI held?
- Simultaneously in different regions in February yearly
1. What is the Creed of Alpha Kappa Psi?
Alpha Kappa Psi recognizes that
We live in deeds, not years;
In thought, not breath;
In service, not in figures on the dial.
We count time by heart throbs,
When they beat for God, for man, for duty.
He lives most who thinks most,
Is nobles, acts the best.
2. What are the objects of Alpha Kappa Psi?
- To further the individual welfare of its members;
- To foster scientific research in the fields of commerce, accounts and finance
- To educate the public to appreciate and demand higher ideals therein; and
- To promote and advance in institutions of college rank, courses leading to degrees in business administration.
3. What is the address of the Heritage Center?
- 7801 E. 88th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46256-1233
4. What is the telephone number of the Heritage Center?
- (317) 872-1553
5. What are two responsibilities of the fraternity’s Board of Directors and how many members are there?
- Nine; Strategic planning, Approve the Fraternity budget
6. What are two responsibilities of the fraternity’s Chapter Congress?
- Sets the fees for student members
- Elects the Fraternity officers and the Board of Directors
7. What is the main responsibility of the fraternity’s Management Team?
- Oversee operations of chapters and manages alumni volunteers
8. What are two responsibilities of the Heritage Center Staff?
- Administer the performance evaluations of chapters;
- Issue all certificates and membership cards;
- Handles all general correspondence for Fraternity activities;
- Prepares reports for Fraternity meetings;
- Conducts public relations for the Fraternity;
9. Who is ___________?
- Regional Director: Courtney C. Harrison
- CEO/ Executive Director: Gary L. Epperson
- Fraternity President: Alexander T. Sultan
- Executive Vice President: Stephanie Potter
10. What are the 13 regions of the Fraternity?
- East central
- North central
- South central
- West central
11. What are two purposes of the Convention?
- To hold the Chapter Congress
- To host the College of Leadership
12. What are the governing documents of the fraternity?
- Constitution and Statutory Code
- Board of Directors’ Statement of Policy
- The Ritual of Alpha Kappa Psi
- Chapter Bylaws
“It’s not who you are, but who you will become” – AKPsi
I have grown as a professional individual this semester. I’ve learned more pledging for Alpha Kappa Psi than I have in my entire life. It’s easy to rely on other people, but eventually it’s gonna come down to if you put in the work. If you didn’t then you have no reason to be here. Like I said, I’m not perfect, but I can admit that. This is a learning process and you should want to learn. You should want to better yourself. You should want to take the steps that are going to help you in the future.
1. What is the Alpha Kappa Psi Vision Statement?
- Alpha Kappa Psi is recognized as the premier developer of principled business leaders.
2. What are the Alpha Kappa Psi core values?
3. What are the Alpha Kappa Psi core values?
- Building Brotherhood
- Lifelong Learning
- High Ethical Standards
- Improving Communities
- Enhancing the Fraternity for life
4. What consititutes quorum at a meeting?
- 50% plus 1 active member
5. A motion must pass with _______ of the votes?
6. A voter may request what in order to understand the matter at hand?
- Point of Information
7. What are the main objects on the fraternity’s coat of arms?
- Phoenician Galley
- Chain of four links
- Coin bag
- Pair of balance
8. What is the Alpha Kappa Psi Tagline?
- Alpha Kappa Psi- Shaping People, Shaping Business
9. What must a motion receive in order to be voted on?
10. What is the minimum number of meetings that must be held during the academic year?
- Two per month
1. When and where was the fraternity founded?
- New York University, Washington Square, New York
- October 5, 1904
- Assembly Room, 32 Waverly Place
2. Two things the fraternity’s alcohol policy prohibits?
- No “drinking games” shall be permitted
- The possession, sale or use of illegal drugs or controlled substances is prohibited
3. When was the local chapter founded?
- Chartered in March 28, 1992
4. What state and on what date was the fraternity incorporated?
- New York, May 20 1905
5. What is the term used to refer to the four Founding Fathers?
- Brooklyn Four
6. Who are the ten men credited as the founders of the fraternity?
- Frederic R. Leach*
- Nathan Lane Jr.*
- George L. Bergen*
- Howard M. Jefferson*
- Morris S. Rachmil
- Robert S. Douglas
- Daniel V. Duff
- Irving L. Camp
- Herbert M. Wright
- William O. Tremaine
7. How and when were women granted membership?
- By vote of the Board of Directors on August 7, 1976
8. What is the fraternity’s flower?
- Yellow Rose – symbolizes joy, happiness and friendship
9. Where is the fraternity now incorporated and when was this approved?
- Indianapolis, Indiana 1997
10. What are the fraternity’s colors?
- Navy Blue and Gold
- Five weeks
12. What is the fraternity’s meeting opening question and response?
- Q) For what purpose are we gathered?
- A) To deliberate, to receive counsel and advice and to study the teachings of the fraternity so that we may become better leaders.
13. What are two things the fraternity’s hazing policy prohibits?
- No chapter shall conduct hazing activities.
- At no time during the pledge education is there to be verbal abuse of an individual, including shouting, screaming and the use of profanity.
14. What are two things the fraternity’s harassment policy prohibits?
- Unwelcome sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
15. What is the fourth risk management policy and what does it prohibit?
- Electronic Images; posting or distribution of any photos, videos, etc. that shows policy violations or can put the fraternity in a bad light.
16. What is the fraternity’s anthem?
The Anthem of Alpha Kappa Psi
Tune: Auld Lang Syne
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And Alpha Kappa Psi?
Shall we pass slowly out of view
Without Regret or sigh?
For Alpha Kappa Psi, my friend, for Alpha Kappa Psi
We’ll bless the days that we have spent
In Alpha Kappa Psi
We’ll work with might and main to win
Our meed of daily praise,
But ne’er shall we in after years
Forget fraternal days.